Monday, May 10, 2010

two things... a few thoughts

My last exam is on Tuesday at 10 AM for New Testament Survey. As soon as it's over I'll be heading home for Summer. It's been a weird year, and I thought I'd take a few minutes to reflect. Here are the two most valuable principles I've learned this year:

1. Faith always precedes understanding

2. Discipline is the pathway to Godliness

The first principle hits home the most for me. It is birthed from Proverbs 1:7, and it pretty much sums up this school year. There are so many things I thought I knew this time last year, and all of them have been questioned or refuted this year. There are many things about my current life that I don't fully understand, and that I would change in a heart beat if I could. It would be easy to let those things influence my faith, but faith always precedes understanding. I may never fully know why God is allowing me to deal with certain thoughts and emotions right now, but that's alright, because faith always precedes understanding... and I refuse to stop believing.

The second principle hits home, but makes me feel way worse about myself... haha.
It's impossible to become like God without discipline, because everything about my nature is ungodly. However, as a believer I have a calling and expectation for Godliness, and so I must become disciplined, because discipline is the pathway to Godliness. The problem and frustration I have with this is that in order to BE disciplined, I have to HAVE discipline. I feel like it's impossible to become disciplined without already possessing discipline, because the act of becoming disciplined takes discipline! This sucks for someone who doesn't already posses it.. So, I'm still working on the discipline thing. It's absolutely crucial though, because discipline is the pathway to Godliness.

Two things, a few thoughts, and you have my spiritual journey for the year in a nut shell. The next few days I'll be sharing some big plans for Summer 2010 at Relevant Student Ministry.

4 comments:

  1. I really like your post - faith recedes understanding is a great point. I am not sure I would go with the word discipline, though I know what you mean. Discipline tends to be mechaninistic and is often soulless. The bible tends to lean to persistence, overcoming, running our race. It a battle against great odds and that is more than discipline, its about enduring to the end and striving for the prize of high calling of God in Christ. Anyway, its just my way of inducing a debate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, nice thought! Encourage me to have discipline as well! I have to HAVE discipline.
    GBU

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's nothing like a good debate...

    The principle was adapted from a book called The Spiritual Disciplines of the Christian Life. I think perseverance and discipline go hand in hand. Without discipline, I'm not sure that perseverance would be possible.

    Anyway, thanks for your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. dude. Great thoughts bro.. love seeing what God is doing in you bro.. I have told you before.. God has some huge things for you..

    Great post!!

    ReplyDelete