Monday, June 1, 2009

hillsong united in nasvhille

Saturday night Hillsong United played at Belmont in Nashville. They are one of my favorite worship bands, and it was so awesome getting to see them live. I'm an evaluator, so I couldn't help but notice a few things they do that make them so powerful.

1. Lyrics. Obviously that's the most important thing about their songs. A lot of worship songs seem like just a cliche' way of telling God what we tell him in every other song, but Hillsong communicates their vision for the Christian movement in every song. I love that because it stretches everyone to surrender fully to God.

2. Transitions. To me, the thing that makes them so good is the way they go from absolutely nothing to absolute energy so quickly. Five or six times there was nothing but a pad playing underneath, with all the lights off, and then all it would take is a hard snare or tom beat and all the lights are on and everyone's in.

3. Preparation. No one was using a music stand for lyrics or chords. That's just expected from a professional band, but when a worship band can do that, to me, it shows that they are worshiping with the audience. In churches I think that's one thing that could really make a difference on stage.

They're awesome, and I loved worshiping with them Saturday night.

1 comment:

  1. Nate,

    Hillsong United is one of my favorite bands as well. I agree with you on your comment about preparation. I have been leading worship for 5 or 6 years now. Some of my most awesome memories and worship experiences have been when I didn't have sheet music in front of me. Unfortunately, this is the most difficult thing for me to do. Especially on a week to week basis, where I typically don't know what songs are coming until the week of, I find it very hard to let go of my "safety net" and go without the music. It's never that I don't know it. It's just that I honestly want give my best to God and don't want to make stupid mistakes that can cause distractions.
    On the flip side I've always believed that a worship leader should be the lead worshipper. Just like any leader, you can't lead where you aren't willing to go yourself. So if not hsving sheet music means a better connection with my Savior and better leadership coming from the stage. It's worth the extra time. Definately something I need to work on man. Thanks for the thoughts.

    ReplyDelete