Thursday, June 4, 2009

the center of family ministry

The last few days I've spent a lot of time reading through lessons for Kids' ministry. Part of my responsibility as a Family Ministry intern this summer is to pick out material for a mission trip to New Orleans in July. We'll basically be doing Crosstreet (which is our weekly ministry for kids at Grace Community Church) and a back yard Bible club type deal for kids in New Orleans. I've really enjoyed over viewing the curriculum.

One thing I've landed on through the whole process is this: Regardless of the principles you are teaching, Jesus must be the center. It's so huge to teach kids "bottom lines" and simple truths and principles about character, but if Jesus is not at the center of all those things then at the end of the day, to me, you've done more harm than good.

I'm currently under the conviction that the world needs more people willing to stand up for Jesus than it needs people with solid morals. Jesus saves the world; ethics just preserve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment