Wednesday, May 27, 2009

wisdom or knowledge?

I asked a question earlier this week: Is there a difference between wisdom and knowledge.

I think now the answer is yes. A person who is intellectual could tell you facts, answers, and probably make a lot of smart remarks, but a person who is wise has the ability to bring insight to a situation. A person who is wise is able to make good decisions in the midst of uncertainty. I think this would explain why so many smart kids at school are the same ones who make poor decisions outside of school. A truly wise person realizes how his decisions affect him.

Throughout high school I was so frustrated that a person who would choose not to participate in stupid stuff was constantly looked at as no-fun and no-nonsense. Sure there's a time for silliness, but isn't there a greater purpose to life? As Christians, shouldn't we have a greater standard than the standard of the world? What if the passion so many teenage Christians put into goofing off was put into living a life worthy of the calling we've received?

Ephesians 4:1 (NLT)
1 Therefore I, a prisoner for serving the Lord, beg you to lead a life worthy of your calling, for you have been called by God.

That is the wisest thing I could do.

1 comment:

  1. YOU are going to do SO well in college! I'm gonna have to have you come back and speak to my knucklehead seniors.

    ReplyDelete