Thursday, April 23, 2009

southern baptist review

Thanks to my dad's constant and eternal twitter updates I ran across this article. I guess something good really can come out of twitter...

Anyway you can read the article here. Basically the membership and baptisms of the Southern Baptist Convention are declining.

I've been a Southern Baptist all my life, and as far as I know I agree with them doctrinally, but all I can say is this: The fact that the Southern Baptist Convention is declining doesn't mean that the movement of Christ is. Just reading some of the comments from Southern Baptists you would think that the entire planet is just rejecting Jesus and God and the whole deal... that's not the case. The movement of Christ can't be stopped or declined no matter how hard any of us try, and simply because people as a whole are running away from Southern Baptists doesn't mean that they are running away from God.

2 comments:

  1. I think it's funny how oftentimes we like to place the blame on others rather than look at how we do things. If people are moving away from the Southern Baptists, maybe it's because they are not speaking to the culture in a way that makes sense to them? Thanks for the thoughts brosef.

    ReplyDelete