Thursday, April 16, 2009

cynics

I'm learning more and more that I'm somewhat of a cynic. I don't think that I'm pessimistic, but I'm definitely skeptical. I'm really not sure what causes that part of my personality, but it's definitely there.

Because of this trait, I'm very quick to point out and be turned off by lameness. Not goofy lameness, but just stuff that I feel is a waste of time and energy for all of humanity. This trait can be good when it comes to evaluating things and trying to improve, but it can really suck when it comes to encouragement and building others up.

When you combine this trait with the fact that I'm also very introverted around people I don't know, huge problems can arise. I'm very quick to write off things I feel are lame, even if those things are people. I'm very much aware that this is a problem, and am trying really hard to not be so cynical when it comes to individuals.

My question, though: Is there a place for cynics?

Isn't cynicalness or cynicality, or whatever the correct suffix is to make cynical a noun, a trait that can be used for good? I definitely want to get rid of it when it comes to the way I interact with others, but I feel like it also has potential to help me design and implement excellent strategies someday.

I don't know. Anyway... Is there a place for cynics?

3 comments:

  1. You know, I think there's a fine line between a realist and a cynic. A realist cares for the heart of people and I think that is the side that you walk. Your initial reaction may be one of a cynic but the fact that you contemplate the outcome of that on the person means that your heart is in the right place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also don't mistake being cynical for having the ability of discernment. Often when someone has the ability to judge quickly and well they are called cynical but have they are quick to process and see through smoke and mirrors that many put up. What you have to be careful of is that even if you have a tendency toward being cynical you don't allow conspiracy to invade your life and opinions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. balance man, just always be open to the new thing God wants to do

    ReplyDelete