Thursday, February 26, 2009

ifaith message

I had a request to post my message from last Saturday at my first ever preaching thing. I'm putting the outline, but without specifics in some of the stories because I was able to be honest with the audience when I did it, but could possibly make the people in the stories feel a little awkward if they were to read... so keep that in mind. The theme of the Disciple Now was iFaith, and keep in mind that this would probably make a lot more sense when I went to deliver it then when it's just sitting here in outline form.. I will say though, I only looked at my notes one time when I was doing it, and that was simply to read scripture... so I was very happy with how engaging I was able to stay.

Nate's Message:

Bottom Line: True faith changes the way we live.

If we are who we say we are as Christians, then shouldn’t our faith be the most important thing in our lives?

Intro: Story of me at the basketball game against Northeast. Someone asked me to be nice to the players, I asked this person not to talk to me the rest of the time.

Link: In that moment I put my love of basketball above my relationship with this person, even though SHE was more important to me than basketball. In this moment my focus was taken off of what I really cared about, and set on something of less importance. It’s not even that basketball is a bad thing, but it still distracted me from something I care about even more.

Tension: Think about that situation in terms of your relationship with God. A lot of you would probably say that you BELIEVE in the Bible, and Jesus, and God, and the whole thing, but how many times do we let other things become more important to us than our faith?

Talk about when the iPod first came out, I was actually on a church trip on the way to Gatlinburg. Two girls on the bus had one, and everyone was so fascinated by it that they were the most popular people on the bus.

The iPod was such an amazing gadget, and the people who had the iPod were so proud, that everyone on the bus knew about it and wanted to listen to it. Shouldn’t the “iFaith” be the same way? As Christians, if we have this amazing faith, then shouldn’t that be THE most important thing in our lives?

When the Luci and Layne got the iPod, it changed their reputation on the bus… Shouldn’t the iFaith change our reputation as Christians?

Shouldn’t our faith change the way we live our lives?

Story of Samson: Emphasizing the fact that he constantly allowed other things to become more important than his faith.

Judges 16:20.

The Lord had left him. Samson continually let his faith become less important than his love of everything else. Even though Samson had been chosen by God, and even though he believed in God and the Bible and the whole deal, you never would have known it by looking at his life, because his faith wasn’t his most important thing.

Story of a friend and her conversation with a non-believer.
The non-believer told the friend that he doesn’t want anything to do with Christianity because of what he sees from Christians. As the friend and I talked about this, we came to the conclusion that he was probably right. As we thought about the Christians we know, we realized you really can’t tell a difference between the Christians and the non-Christians.

Think about your Christian friends for a minute…
My Christian friends gossip more than my non-Christian friends. Sometimes they complain more. They do more sexually. They are harder to talk to.

Finish Story of Samson

Judges 16: 28-31

Closing:
I was in Panama City for a camp… Eph 4:1


Eph 4:1- Live a life worthy of the calling you have received, because true faith changes the way we live.

Story of a friend's house… If I had gone into that room there’s no telling what could have happened.

Urge them to live a life that reflects their faith. What would happen if we started to put our faith above popularity, sex, school, sports, and money. The world doesn’t need more funny middle school guys, more flirtatious pretty girls, or better athletes; the world needs people who are willing to put Jesus above everything else.

Bottom Line: True faith changes the way we live.

If we are who we say we are as Christians, then shouldn’t our faith be the most important thing in our lives?

2 comments:

  1. That's so true and absolutely awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I wish I could've been there to hear this in person! Great job, Nate. This is really well thought out and I like how you alternated between personal stories, scripture, and commentary. You are a pro right out of the gate!!

    ReplyDelete