Thursday, November 13, 2008

5 tips to winning a high school election

I was googling some different things and ended up finding this site giving advice to people running for high school elections. There were lots of cool slogans people could use and that sort of thing, but I thought it'd be cool to share my opinion on it all. This year I'm Student Body President at Rossview High School and have run many many times for student council elections.

Let me clarify very quickly for our cynical readers that I in no way claim to be an expert on this subject, I do, however, have experience.

Here's 5 tips on winning a high school election

1. Give a good speech.
So many people try and load their speeches with their own "responsibility testimony" or something. Instead of that approach, make your speech short, to the point, and cast vision for what you're going to do differently once elected. I'd say 90% of the time in high school elections the person who appeals the best with their speech wins the election. If you're not funny, don't try to be. The last thing you want to do is try and make a joke that is over people's heads. You'll stick out to people more if you're up there less. Just be succinct. Honestly how many high schoolers do you know that like to listen to speeches?

2. Campaign during lunch.
Lunch is the one time during the day when all genres of kids show up together. Use that time to spread the word that you're running and gain momentum for your campaign.

3. Don't make promises.
People like to say "don't make promises you can't keep.." I'm proposing not to make promises PERIOD. By all means talk about things you want to change, but avoid being cliche as much as possible. Lameness is one thing that you can't afford to be associated with. Whatever you do, never say the line, "I'm not going to make any promises... except that I'll do my best and work my hardest if you elect me...."

4. Say your name multiple times.
I can't tell you how many people have told me they would have voted for me if they could have remembered my name. When you go to give your speech put it in there two or three times if you have to. Even if you go over board people will remember you, and when they go to vote they're going to pick a name they recognize.

5. Be nice the other 180 days of the school year.
In all honesty you could give Martin Luther King Jr's "I have a dream" speech and be a jerk to everyone the rest of the school year and you'd lose the election. Don't be fake, be nice the whole year... not just at election time. Campaigning starts now, not a week before the election.

No comments:

Post a Comment