Monday, October 13, 2008

beeson's global center

I had one of the most spiritual few seconds of my life today. I'm in Birmingham, Alabama for a few days visiting Mary who goes to Samford university, and I was walking around the campus so I decided to stop by Beeson Divinity School. They have this thing called "The Global Center" where they basically connect the movement of Christ to the rest of the world. In this museum looking exhibit they spotlight a bunch of missionaries and their stories. They also give some quotes from some of these missionaries, and as I read some of them I must admit I got a little teary-eyed. Here are some of the ones that stuck out to me:

"If I am killed, it will be while I am speaking. Believe me, I will not be silent."

"I have been threatened many times. I face daily being picked up by soldiers. But, while the opportunity is there, I preach the Gospel."

"We must come to realize that unless our love is demonstrated practically, our Gospel will sound hollow and unconvincing."

"My advice to missionaries is to proclaim the Word more and argue about it less."

We take Christianity for granted so much in America, and these guys were giving up their lives for it. For some reason I feel like these guys would hate the majority of churches in America. I wonder why that is... maybe because we're all missing it. I don't know what the answer is, but I just know that I was extremely convicted today as I read that stuff.

1 comment:

  1. i love this stuff dude.
    i'm glad my hour long meeting allowed you to explore.
    thanks to you, i now know that every hour 7,000 more people are on earth.
    thanks for going with me.

    ReplyDelete