Friday, September 26, 2008

evaluating vision

Going into this year I really wanted to use my position as ASG president to make a difference somehow in the school. Last fall I started writing down things I thought needed to be improved within Student Council in order for them to be as effective as possible. I read a lot of books last year (well.. a lot of books in comparison to the amount of books I've read in previous years.. which is zero..) about crafting and carrying out a vision. So when this year started, I was already miles ahead of the game because I knew exactly what I wanted to accomplish.

Our vision as ASG is very simple; Make it easy for students to be involved. We want to do everything we can to motivate students to become active at school.

The main event for the year in high school is Homecoming. In all honesty, I really dislike homecoming, but I did my best to plan the week according to our vision. This is the week following Homecoming, so this week has been our week to sit back and look at how we did. This is really my first experience truly evaluating a vision. Did we accomplish what we meant to accomplish during Homecoming? Did our vision get carried out?

It's been cool getting to feel important as I "evaluate our vision". Obviously student council isn't a world changing organization, but this experience is still good experience I'll be able to use in the future. Now that Homecoming is over we really get to start looking ahead at the rest of the year, and I really think we're going to do some more really cool things... but with our vision in mind the whole time.

No comments:

Post a Comment