Thursday, September 18, 2008

darkness

A few months ago I was in this band called Kadence. We were a band for about two months, and in that time we managed to play 3 shows... one of which was Battle of the Bands at First Baptist. We actually won battle of the bands, which was pretty cool, but it was kind of apparent from the very beginning that there was some tension in the band that would need to be worked out eventually if the band was ever to survive. Well, the band apparently broke up about two weeks ago. I had quit the band right after we won battle of the bands because I felt like the style wasn't really what I was going for, and also I really didn't have time to be in another band when I'm already in the Remix Band. After a few minor disagreements they all decided it'd be better just to stop the whole thing.

So last week some of the guys from what was previously known as Kadence approached me about starting a new band. All the reservations I had about the band before still existed, but I decided to hear them out and practice with them before making a decision. So I went to practice the first time and was asking very direct questions about the future of the band. Questions like, "what's your goal? what kind of music do you want to make? what's going to be different about this band? why do I need to be in this?"

When I heard the answer of one of the guitar players, I knew I had to at least give it a shot. A guy who is a mega mega huge Led Zeppelin (or however you spell that) fan, a guy who basically could be described as an 80s rock solo, said this, "Man... I don't know what it is, but I just wanna make songs that are like... about God and stuff..." When I heard that it got me so fired up I can't even describe it. This is a guy who two years ago had never even been to church! He had absolutely no concept of who Jesus was or what He did for us all! This guy isn't perfect... not even close for that matter, but two years ago he started playing in the Crosstreet Band, a kids band we have at church. Because our church decided to give this guy a shot at playing he was able to be exposed to the Gospel!

I hear of churches all the time who won't allow good musicians to play simply because their lifestyle isn't "up to par", or "acceptable for leading worship". What the heck does that even mean? None us are worthy or acceptable to lead worship! Hebrews 4:16 says, " So let us come boldly to the throne of our gracious God. There we will receive his mercy, and we will find grace to help us when we need it most." Anyway that's a whole other argument..

The reason I wrote this post was because I wanted to give a preview of one of this band's new songs. At the very end there's this really huge bridge/chorus thing that says,

"The lights went out a long time ago, but the darkness reveals the love that was shown."

The idea behind that chorus is that a long time ago we all messed up, but in and through that mess up, the love that Jesus showed us all when he died on the cross is revealed the most. I really hope we get to record that song one day!

Anyway have a great week guys!

1 comment: