Monday, August 4, 2008

the vision principle

The last few weeks I've really been letting you guys down. I've reached the point in my life where I get to have real responsibility, and I haven't exactly learned how to manage my time to where I allow myself to enjoy the responsibility and not get extremely stressed out. All that to say- the last few weeks I've been really stressed and that is the reason for my blogging negligence.

Yesterday the remix band lead worship at Grace. That was an awesome experience, and I'm so glad we got to do it! It did, however, stress me out. Making sure everyone is on the same page can be extremely difficult sometimes.. Yesterday in the first service we had just finished playing the intro of Hosanna and I looked over and saw that my good friend Levi, one of the electric guitarists in the band, had an intensely confused look on his face. Trying to sort through the millions of reasons for his confused look isn't exactly something I had time to do considering the fact that we were in the middle of the song! So I did the only thing I knew to do, I yelled, "Levi! We're playing HOSANNA!" Immediately he looked up at me and said, "Ohh", and started playing the song. As funny as that story is, it was still stressful.

Today was freshmen orientation. The last few months I've been working on ways to make that flow as simply as possible so that it could be as productive as possible. I think simplicity and productivity go hand in hand. So today was the day all the work would either result in a success or a massive failure... I think it turned out to be a success. I also got a cool compliment out of it. Scottie Hill said, "I think Nathaniel is the new Mr. Bigstuf of Rossview..." Being compared to ole Lanny Donaho is a pretty cool thing, even though he talks a lot.. haha just kidding.. I've learned my lesson on accusing camp directors of being talkative... or at least accusing them on my blog. And I really do love Lanny Donaho, although I'm not 100% sure how to spell his last name..

As you're probably beginning to pick up on, I like to end my blogs with a principle I've learned. Today's is a pretty useful one for me. Lately my dad has been talking a lot about the difference in being a manager and a leader. (http://www.ronedmondson.com/archives/88) With that in mind, here's the principle:

Leadership without management sucks. Sorry for bluntness. Even a great great leader with a huge and important vision can really screw up his vision without knowing how to manage. I figured out today that I am most definitely more the leader type than the manager type. Three months ago when I started planning for Orientation I had a vision of what should change to make it better than ever before. I put lots and lots of energy into getting that plan on paper and getting the teachers and principals behind it. That was leadership. Today at 7:00 when it was time to get put all that into action in an organized and detailed way, I was not the best person for the job. I got by because I knew and loved the vision so much, but what I really needed was a manager to make sure it all flowed properly.

A great vision needs great leadership and great management to survive. (I made that up just now, but couldn't you see that being in a book or something?...)
Successful Vision= Leadership+Management

2 comments:

  1. First of all,Sunday was awesome. Was in the 2nd service (you know, the spiritual one :)....jk, maybe) and you all rocked...and for being one of the elderly over 34, it wasn't loud at all! Second, Kaylee said you did a great job with the orientation yesterday at Rossview. Although she is still a little concerned where her first class is, she felt comfortable and had fun. But with any 14 year old girl, as long as you have on the right outfit....you'll be looking just fine as you walk around lost.
    Third, I really admire you, Nate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good stuff man, good stuff...keep leading.

    ReplyDelete