Wednesday, July 2, 2008

truth or dare

While everyone is waiting for me to post some thoughts for the new Oratory on Christianity, I thought I'd share with you part of my old speech on risks.. this was the introduction:

Truth or Dare is one of those games everyone plays at some point growing up, but in 5th grade, it’s really not a game… it’s really just a sly attempt for guys to hook up with women… not just women though, but 5th grade women.

It was Christmas break, and the girl was Shelby Richmond… it’s pretty safe to say we were in love. Despite all the “masculine” qualities that I posses, I couldn’t quite get up the nerve to ask her out on my own. So, I devised a plan that would accelerate all that “let’s go out for coffee stuff” and just get to the kissing. So, I organized an innocent little game of Truth or Dare, made my best friend dare me to kiss Shelby, and then just made sure I had on plenty of chap-stick. As long as the plan was executed to perfection, I was about to collide with my destiny.

So, when I was dared to kiss Shelby, of course I had to act like I didn’t know it was coming. “Dude are you serious?!?? You really want me to kiss her?!?” But finally, I made my move. I took Shelby into the closet we had set aside for “outrageous dares” (creepy sounding… I know) but suddenly, despite all my planning, despite all the time I had spent daydreaming, just waiting for this “mature” moment, I realized that I actually had to kiss her. I mean you can’t pass once you get INTO the closet. This wasn’t my fantasy world anymore… this was reality. Even though kissing Shelby Richmond was at the time my destiny in life, when it came time to actually do it, I realized it was also my greatest fear.

A lot of us live our lives in that kind of a moment. We know what we want to do in life, what we’re really passionate about, what we really want to accomplish, and the question is not if we have what it takes to reach those goals, the question, is if we’re willing to step out, and risk the possibility that we might fail.

Mark Batterson’s book In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day, is about risking failure and facing your fears, in order to follow your dreams. He writes, “Sometimes our greatest opportunities come disguised as man-eating lions, and how we react when we encounter those lions will determine our destiny.” When the opportunity presents itself, when all of your planning boils down to one moment, when your dream is on the line, are you gonna go for it, or watch it go by because you’re afraid to take the risk?

At this point in the speech I launched into the part where I connect the intro to the bottom line for the speech. Maybe I'll share it with you someday

1 comment:

  1. Dude i hate getting stuck in pits and stuff, especially when lions and crap all trying to eat you.... you know what im talking about nate dog

    ReplyDelete