Friday, July 25, 2008

productivity>negativity

First let me apologize for not blogging this week. It's been a very busy week but also a very educational week... meaning I've learned a lot (which is somewhat surprising because typically people say that I'm a know it all..?)

There are a few specific areas where I channel my energy. Girls (or girl singular I guess), ASG (which is student council), and Remix (our weekly gathering for students). It's probably pretty obvious which of these categories is the most fun, but because my goal isn't to turn into some kind of sex god I try and focus time on the other two categories as well, and this week I've spent time on them all equally. Here's the categories brokendown for the week, minus the girl category because I really am not sure that I should share such information:

ASG- As student body president, I'm trying to revolutionize the way student council is done. Normally student council is responsible for planning 3 things: Freshmen Orientation, Homecoming, and Winterfest (Homecoming and Winterfest are both dances by the way). To someone wanting to do student council in an average way, I'm probably the worst canidate because I absolutely hate dances, but remember I'm trying to REVOLUTIONIZE the way student council is done.. so I'm actually the BEST canidate if you're looking for someone to improve things.

We have Freshmen Orientation coming up on August 4th, so I've been busy the last 2 months planning it in a way that will make it appealing and useful to an incoming freshmen. In the past it's been very unorganized and thus unproductive, and those are two words I hate when it comes to something I'm in charge of, so I've been making lots of changes to ensure excellency. My dad has pointed out that my biggest problem, though, is that I'm so busy working and planning stuff by myself that I don't fill others in along the way. This can be detrimental when trying to get others on board with your vision.

So last night I get an email from a girl asking "what the deal is for orientation". Now, this is a girl who is very much involved in ASG, so I'm pretty sure she knows what the deal is, but this is just a reminder to me that I need to fill others in and communicate more effectively as I'm planning.

Remix- We've taken a break from remix over the summer, so we're gearing up for the launch date on Wednesday Aug 13th. It's going to be exciting but there's still a lot of work to be done. I'm currently serving as the "Remix Band Coordinator" ... you can thank Michael Bayne for the official sounding title. Basically I arrange the songs and lead practice with the band. We're in the process of learning the new songs on the new Remix practice CD, and I'm really excited about what God is going to do through the production side of Remix. Even though I'm heavily involved in the Production/Band/Large Group side of Remix, I think life groups are really where life change is going to happen.

This week I've done lots and lots of work on all three of my areas of energy, and experienced negativity in every area. Here's what I've learned though:

Productivity is greater than Negativity. No matter how much negativity you have to face going through the process, at the end of the day the productivity is what will stick if you stay commited to the vision. I'm only 17, so that concept could change as I experience more life, but right now I think that's true. (Although when dealing with women, there's really no rules or basic equations that can accurately be applied.)

Productivity>Negativity.

No comments:

Post a Comment