Saturday, June 7, 2008

confusing passage

The next few blogs are going to be based on thoughts and ideas I was thinking about while at Bigstuf.

When I was on the beach the first night of camp I was reading through 1 John 5. Before I go on you should know that I was raised in a Southern Baptist Bible Belt downtown church (I understand if that make you hate me). I've always been taught that sin is equal and that even the smallest slightest sin is enough to lead to a spirtual death or separation from God for eternity. So with that in mind read 1 John 5:16-17:

16 If anyone sees his brother committing a sin not leading to death, he shall ask andGod will for him give life to those who commit sin not leading to death. There is a sin leading to death; I do not say that he should make request for this. 17 All unrighteousness is sin, and there is a sin not leading to death. NASU

Now I used NASU for those accuracy gooroos out there (as if anyone actually reads this blog anyway). If you have my background this is a very confusing passage of scripture. The first reason is because John is making a distinction between sin. Apparently there is a sin that LEADS to death, and a sin that DOES NOT lead to death. The second question is what kind of death is he talking about? Does he mean spiritual death or physical death?

Romans 3:23- "For all have SINNED and fall short of the glory of God."
Romans 6:23- "For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Christ Jesus our Lord."

In those 2 verses it seems like sin is sin and any sin resluts in the need of a savior, and I still believe that, but what is John talking about? Another thought that comes to mind is the fact that we are BORN into sin. Romans 4 and 5 talk about how through Adam we are cursed from birth, so wouldn't we already be sentenced to DEATH just for being born? I mean what difference does it make what degree of sin you commit during your life (if there is a degree.. JOHN!) if you're destined for Hell and need a savior anyway?

Anyway this was just a confusing passage. For someone in church and as involved as I am it's easy to fall into the idea that I pretty much know everything there is to know, but that's probably the biggest bunch of crap I could think about myself.. so, maybe I'll understand this one day.

1 comment: